John Worboys Victims Challenge Black Cab Rapist's Release From Prison

John Worboys: Victims challenge rapist's release from prison

John Worboys: Victims challenge rapist's release from prison

Victims of black cab rapist John Worboys will head to the High Court later today to challenge his release from jail.

A Parole Board decision that he should be freed on licence after spending less than a decade behind bars was widely criticised by his victims and politicians.

Worboys was jailed indefinitely in 2009, with a minimum term of eight years, for drugging and sexually assaulting women passengers.

Kauffman said psychologists advising the Parole Board had been misled into believing Worboys had taken "full responsibility" for his offences, that he possessed an "insight" into the triggers which led him to offend, and that he now had an "openness and honesty" about him.

At the hearing in February, 60-year-old Worboys listened to proceedings from the dock of the courtroom after being transported from prison.

Barrister Phillippa Kaufmann QC argued on Tuesday that there is scant evidence to show Worboys is not unsafe, and that the hundreds of assaults he may have committed "completely undermined" the decision to free him. He remains in prison after a bar on his release was renewed.

The Parole Board should have taken into account "evidence relating to the wider allegations of Mr Radford's offending than the offences for which he was convicted".

Phillippa Kaufmann QC, for the victims, told the court on the previous occasion that it appeared something had gone "very wrong", and they were "concerned not only for themselves but for the wider public and women in particular".

Expected to last two days, the urgent judicial review is also being backed by the London Mayor, Sadiq Khan, and was given the green light last month.

Three senior judges, Sir Brian Leveson, Mr Justice Garnham and Mr Justice Jay, will hear arguments that a blanket ban on giving reasons for release decisions breaches the principle of open justice.

"That throws into question the entire account that he has given for why his offending began", she said.

As the case got under way, Mr Khan said in a statement that Worboys presented a "significant threat" to safety.

The Sun newspaper is also part of the legal challenge, after it was granted permission last month to challenge the Parole Board over not publishing its decision.

Notícias recomendadas

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.