United Nations to convene Yemen talks early next month in Geneva

20 killed in Saudi-led airstrike on fish market in Yemen

20 killed in Saudi-led airstrike on fish market in Yemen

Missiles hit the crowded fish market, which is a few hundred meters from the city's main hospital.

Martin Griffiths, UN Special Envoy for Yemen, delivers his remarks during the Security Council meeting on the situation in the Middle East.

Resolving the crisis over Hodeida would have to be part of a "comprehensive political settlement" between the rebels and the government, he said. A Saudi-led coalition allied with the government has been at war with the Houthis since 2015.

Earlier on Thursday, air raids by a Saudi and UAE-led coalition battling Houthi rebels, killed at least 20 people in Hodeidah, according to one count, while other death tolls put the figure higher.

For a little more than three years, Yemen has been locked in a seemingly intractable civil war that has killed almost 10,000 people - two-thirds of them civilians - and pushed millions to the brink of starvation, according to the United Nations.

The Houthis took control of Sanaa, Yemen's capital, in September 2014, after which Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi went into exile. He was referring to the UN-supported peace talks that where first held three years ago in Switzerland before shifting to Kuwait in April 2016.

Rebel-run media outlets accused the Saudi-led coalition of carrying out the attacks in Hodeida.

Hodeidah port is the main conduit for supplies to Yemen, where around 8.4 million people are believed by aid workers to be on the verge of starvation.

United Nations aid official John Ging described the humanitarian crisis in Yemen as "shocking, both in scale and severity".

"Hospitals are protected under global humanitarian law".

Later on Thursday, Griffiths announced plans to invite Yemen's warring parties to Geneva on September 6 to hold the first round of consultations. Country Director Taer Kirolos said: "We're seriously concerned that the area is simply not safe for civilians".

A source at Hodeidah's health office told Middle East Eye that 55 people were killed in the strikes, with more than 100 wounded.

In a statement to Al-Arabiya TV Channel, he said that the coalition abides by a strict and transparent approach which complies with the global law.

"Every day this week we have seen new cholera cases in Hodeidah, and now this".

World Health Organization officials on Friday called on the sides to halt fighting for at least three days for a vaccination effort that aims to prevent another deadly wave of cholera.

Notícias recomendadas

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.