Saudi-led airstrikes kill dozens in Saada province, Yemen

UN Chief calls for independent probe into Saudi attack on Yemeni children

UN Chief calls for independent probe into Saudi attack on Yemeni children

According to Al Jazeera, the Saudi coalition claimed it had targeted "missile launchers", but Yemen-based reporters who have witnessed numerous attacks in civilian-populated areas vigorously disputed the claim.

It accused the Houthis of using children as human shields and said the strikes were carried out in accordance with global humanitarian law.

In a statement on Thursday, Foreign Ministry spokesman, Bahram Qassemi, expressed sympathy with the families of those killed and injured in the latest Saudi airstrike, which hit the bus at a market in Yemen's northwestern province of Sa'ada earlier in the day.

Saudi Arabia said it shot down a rebel missile, with shrapnel leaving a Yemeni resident dead and 11 wounded.

UNICEF said in a statement that "many children were reportedly killed and injured" in the attack and that all of the children were reportedly under the age of 15.

The coalition fighting alongside the government against Shiite Huthi rebels in Yemen said it carried out a "legitimate military action" in the area. "I am extremely saddened by what happened in Saada".

The military alliance says it does not target civilians and has set up an investigation committee into alleged mass casualty air strikes which have mostly cleared the coalition of any blame.

"This is yet another example of the blatant violations of worldwide humanitarian law that we have seen in Yemen over the past three years-from indiscriminate and disproportionate attacks on civilians, denial of access to humanitarian aid and the use of starvation as a weapon of war-it's the people of Yemen, not the warring parties, who are paying the ultimate price", said Sylvia Ghaly, director of advocacy in Yemen for Save the Children.

Investigations by the United Nations and the U.S. have found evidence that the missiles fired by the Houthis were supplied by Tehran.

USA bombs. US targeting.

The spokesman of the coalition backing the legitimate Yemeni national army said that "the targeting that took place today in the governorate of Saada, is a legitimate military action to target elements that planned and carried out attacks targeting civilians yesterday evening in Jizan that killed and wounded civilians".

Worldwide rights groups repeated calls for an end to the war and strongly condemned the bus attack and other civilian massacres. Its last air strike in Yemen was July 24 against Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, she said, adding that the command seeks to help partners mitigate civilian casualties.

The Iran-aligned Houthis regularly fire into Saudi Arabia and have targeted its capital, Riyadh, with ballistic missiles.

There was no immediate comment from the Houthis in response to the coalition allegations.

The US, the United Kingdom and other Western powers have been providing arms and intelligence to the alliance in the course of the war, which has unleashed the world's worst humanitarian crisis in Yemen, according to the UN.

Notícias recomendadas

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.