Tesla files lawsuit against Ont. government over electric vehicle rebate cancellation

Tesla files lawsuit against Ontario government over electric vehicle rebate program

Tesla files lawsuit against Ontario government over electric vehicle rebate program

Elon Musk's Tesla Motors Canada ULC has filed a lawsuit against the Ontario government, alleging it was the subject of "unjustified targeting" when the province cancelled its electric vehicle rebate program last month.

Since 2010, the Ontario government had offered incentives to individuals purchasing or leasing hybrid-electric or electric vehicles.

The Ontario government didn't immediately return a request for comment, but it also declined to comment to Reuters because the issue is already before the court.

The incentive, which was first introduced by Ontario's former Liberal government, promised rebates of up to $14,000 CAD (or $10,650) on eligible green cars worth up to $75,000 CAD ($57,000 in USA bucks).

Purchasers were able to garner as much as CAN$14,000 (US$10,636) toward the purchase, but newly elected Premier Doug Ford and his Progressive Conservative Party killed the plan in July.

And to add insult to injury, Tesla is claiming that it has been singled out; other electric vehicle brands remain eligible for the rebate program during a transition period.

Customers who have been waiting for Tesla Model 3 cars to be delivered say the Ontario government's move has them rethinking their purchase.

It doesn't appear to be as straight-forward as Tesla claim, however, and here's why: The government said in July, that incentives would be honored under certain conditions, specifically, if a vehicle is ordered through a dealership, and delivered and registered before September 10th.

Toronto teacher Kurtis Evans, 38, said he was planning to sell his current vehicle - and was counting on receiving the maximum $14,000 rebate - to be able to afford the $71,000 price of the auto he ordered in June. Tesla received one of those letters, it said in the application, but then received a notice that the sender "attempted to "recall" it".

Notícias recomendadas

  • Chelsea forward Eden Hazard: 'Maurizio Sarri is a great manager'

    Chelsea forward Eden Hazard: 'Maurizio Sarri is a great manager'

    On Kovacic's role in the team going forward, Sarri added: "I think he can play in any of the three positions in midfield". I want to play and have the ball at my feet. "I think we have done very well for 75 minutes".
    Hurricane Lane expected to pass south of Hawaii

    Hurricane Lane expected to pass south of Hawaii

    Hurricane Lane continued to intensify Friday, becoming a Category 3 storm as it continued its westward track toward Hawaii Island. The storm is expected to weaken to a Category 1 (sustained winds of 74-95 mph) by Wednesday, the National Hurricane Center says.
    Entry-level MacBook rumored to debut alongside 2018’s iPhones

    Entry-level MacBook rumored to debut alongside 2018’s iPhones

    So, like we said, it's doubtful Apple is going to shove another product into the mix and still keep the event to +/- two hours. A brand new story says the cheaper MacBook will arrive in September, and that it might not be as cheap as initially expected.
  • Is vaping safe? Here's what we know about e-cigarettes

    Is vaping safe? Here's what we know about e-cigarettes

    E-cigarettes, the report said, present an opportunity to "significantly accelerate already declining smoking rates". E-cigarettes, which were first manufactured in 2003, have become increasingly popular in the UK.
    Sarri, Emery off to divergent starts in race for top four

    Sarri, Emery off to divergent starts in race for top four

    Asked if he sees Chelsea as potential title challengers, Sarri said candidly: "Not in this moment". We need to be more compact. "I hope we will be able to play for 90 minutes in two months".
    Putin to Merkel: Syrian Refugees Are a 'Burden on Europe'

    Putin to Merkel: Syrian Refugees Are a 'Burden on Europe'

    Ukraine was also on the agenda for the pair's meeting at the stunning Meseberg Palace, north of Berlin, which was built in 1739. Ukraine's government has been a fierce opponent of the project.
  • Google at risk of £3bn fine over location tracking

    Google at risk of £3bn fine over location tracking

    Three days after the AP story was published Monday, Google altered a help page explanation but didn't change its tracking. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has not, as of yet, commented on any intention to investigate this matter.
    Labour Party suspends former MP Jim Sheridan

    Labour Party suspends former MP Jim Sheridan

    Labour has suspended a former MP from the party over comments reportedly made online about the Jewish community. Anti-Semitism is an evil which must be called out and challenged, whenever and wherever it appears.
    Barcelona Coach Valverde Is 'Counting On' Inter Target Rafinha

    Barcelona Coach Valverde Is 'Counting On' Inter Target Rafinha

    He featured from the bench as Barca cruised past Boca Juniors 3-0 in the Joan Gamper Trophy on Wednesday and claimed an assist for Rafinha's goal, though some suggested he was still far from his best.
  • Thousands stranded in India as deadly monsoon floods continue

    Thousands stranded in India as deadly monsoon floods continue

    Roads and 134 bridges have suffered damage, isolating remote areas in the hilly districts of the state which are worst affected. Kerala is witnessing one of the most savage monsoons in over a century with over 2 lac people being displaced since August 8.
    Janet Jackson, Daddy Yankee collaborate in new song

    Janet Jackson, Daddy Yankee collaborate in new song

    " Made for Now " is Jackson's first single since she dropped her 11th studio album Unbreakable , which was released in 2015.
    England cricketer Ben Stokes found not guilty in assault trial

    England cricketer Ben Stokes found not guilty in assault trial

    Another of the accused men, Ryan Hale, was found not guilty during the trial on the direction of the judge. Stokes has missed seven of England's last 11 tests, a stretch that dates back to the Ashes in Australia.

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.