Pakistani foreign minister's Sri Lanka visit cancelled

Sri Lanka police name all nine Easter Sunday suicide bombers

Sri Lanka police name all nine Easter Sunday suicide bombers

The tour has been canceled due to the security clearance issue in a wake of recently held terror attacks in Sri Lanka on Easter.

Sri Lanka's Catholic cardinal says that he has received "foreign information" that attempts would be made this week to attack a church and another Catholic institution.

"On the advice of the security forces, we have decided not to have Sunday masses in any of the churches", the spokesman said.

The Church had planned to resume Sunday public services for the first time since the Easter Sunday attacks that killed 257 people. Instead of the usual Sunday Mass, Ranjith delivered a homily before clergy and national leaders at his residence that was broadcast on television.

Meanwhile, Achchi Mohammadu Mohammadu Hasthun has been identified as the bomber who was responsible for the attack on Katuwapitiya church.

However, he returned a bullet-proof limousine that was given by the government and instead travelled in an ordinary vehicle.

Sri Lankan authorities had advance warnings from Indian intelligence of the impending Easter attacks in which 257 people died, but police and security forces ignored them.

"I am not afraid. The Lord is my protector", he said.

Ranjith said he had concerns about the progress of security operations against jihadists behind the worst single-day attack against civilians in the country's history.

Officials have warned that suspects linked to the bombings are still at large.

Two suspects have been killed while four others were in custody, police said.

Sri Lanka's Muslim leaders, however, were encouraging believers to return to mosques for Friday prayers, according to N.M. Ameen, president of the Muslim Council of Sri Lanka.

Sri Lankan police late Wednesday released the names and photographs of nine alleged suicide bombers who carried out the Easter attacks, all belonging to an offshoot of a local group called National Towheed Jamaat. The group had pledged an oath of allegiance to the Islamic State group.

At least 40 of the dead are foreigners, with some missing tourists still to be accounted for. He said 47 people were still being treated in hospitals, including 12 in intensive care.

The government had given a toll of more than 350 but brought this down last week, blaming double counting of bodies that were badly mutilated in the six blasts.

Notícias recomendadas

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.