12-Year-Old Walks After Overcoming Flesh-Eating Bacteria

Lynn with her grandchildren on the day she cut her leg. Source FacebookMore

Lynn with her grandchildren on the day she cut her leg. Source FacebookMore

"There was a little depression that she couldn't see because it was under the water", her son, Wade Fleming, told WTVT.

Another Florida woman, Sarah Martinez, 28, said she was diagnosed with cellulitis after swimming in the water at Turtle Beach in Sarasota, according to the newspaper.

On the family's last day of vacation, June 14, Lynn Fleming took them to Coquina Beach, one of her favorite spots, they said.

"She fell where there was a little divot in the ocean, she hit a rock or something and cut her shin", Traci Fleming, Fleming's daughter-in-law, told the Herald-Tribune.

"The infection from the bacteria did not reach the point of it causing Necrotising Fasciitis and actually destroying my muscle tissue and arm only because I acted quickly on getting medical treatment", King said.

Her son gave it one more cleaning the next day, put on a bandage from the first aid kit in his vehicle and had to get back on the road to Pittsburgh.

A grandmother has died after suffering two strokes and organ failure during surgeries to save her leg from flesh-eating bacteria.

Friends knocked on her door to bring her the prescription and found her unconscious on her bedroom floor.

By Saturday afternoon, Lynn Fleming called her family and told them she was in pain.

Wade and Traci Fleming and their two children came to Florida from Pittsburgh, Lynn Fleming's original home.

"Off to the hospital we went", she said.

"If we can get the knowledge out to people, even to the first responders, emergency care, the lifeguard station, just so they can get more educated", he said.

Dr. Stephen Spann, dean of the University of Houston College of Medicine, said that having a wound exposed to brackish water where these bacteria live is one way to get an infection; eating contaminated shellfish - "oysters, primarily" - is another.

There are roughly 700 to 1,200 cases reported each year in the United States, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

She said that "nope, they had all the infectious disease doctors treating me, and they did the protocol for necrotizing fasciitis".

Tyler King said he contracted a form of flesh-eating bacteria, but he didn't get it from the beach.

The deadly disease can be caused by different strains of bacteria, like Group A Strep or Vibrio vulnificus.

Blunt trauma that doesn't tear the skin can also permit entry of flesh-eating bacteria, according to the CDC.

"Initially, I thought maybe it was a sunburn", he said. Experts say good wound care is the best way to prevent any bacterial skin infection.

If you do get a cut in the water, clean it with hand sanitizer immediately and keep monitoring cuts for any signs of infection like swelling or redness. "We had never heard of necrotizing fasciitis".

Notícias recomendadas

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.