Second plane carrying evacuees from Wuhan arrives at CFB Trenton in Ontario

Coronavirus: Risk to Canadians still 'low'

Coronavirus: Risk to Canadians still 'low'

The fatality toll from the new virus has passed the 774 people believed to have died in the 2002-03 epidemic of severe acute respiratory syndrome, another viral outbreak that originated in China. Officials confirmed just one death outside China.

So far, seven cases of the virus have also been diagnosed in Canada, four of them in B.C. and three in Ontario.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), as of Monday morning, there were 40,554 confirmed cases globally (3,085 new). We will attempt to keep families together, even when a Canadian minor is not departing on the flight.

In the meantime, Princess Cruises announced Monday that a Canadian is among an additional 66 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship quarantined in the Japanese port city of Yokohama, about 35 kilometres south of Tokyo.

Health Minister Patty Hajdu said they don't know why some people didn't board the plane, but she said it's possible they were barred from leaving because they were ill or they changed their minds about leaving China.

The flight is headed first to Hong Kong where it will have to wait before going into Wuhan.

Another 200 Canadians who sought help to leave Wuhan, China are now back on Canadian soil.

They would have been taken off the plane and given medical assistance locally. "It will stop to refuel in Vancouver and then continue onward to Canadian Forces Base Trenton".

The new arrivals will be quarantined 14 days from arrival, as is the first group.

However, eight Canadian Forces medical staff who accompanied the evacuees from China were released from quarantine Sunday.

They did not spend time in Wuhan, followed appropriate infection prevention and control protocols - including the use of personal protective equipment - and did not have unprotected contact with the passengers who were flown to Canada, Tam said.

Of the 213 evacuees still in quarantine at CFB Trenton, Tam said none have exhibited any symptoms of the virus.

Public health officials and Canadian Forces personnel are working to make the rooms as comfortable as possible, including installing wireless internet access.

"The government is pleased to have welcomed home more than 400 Canadians and their family members who had been in the quarantined region of Hubei province", Champagne said in the release.

Notícias recomendadas

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.